When you have just come home after a hair transplant, you have to ensure you know how to take care of your implanted hair grafts. They are still weak and need some nurturing to grow fully.
Here are some of the things you should follow and some you should avoid. These tips will help you get the best results for your hair transplant.
Do’s after your Hair Transplant
Some of the things you should do after a hair transplant are:
1. Have someone drive you home
Have someone to drive you home after your surgery. Hair transplant surgery usually does not require strong sedation. However, if you have received a sedative, it is best not to drive under its effect.
2. Sleep with your head elevated
It would be best if you slept with your head elevated for 7 days after your hair transplant. But you can continue as long as you experience swelling. For many patients, swelling lasts only for a few days, and some may never experience it at all.
3. Apply ice
Apply ice just above your eyebrows to prevent swelling. It usually occurs on the 3rd or 4th day after your surgery. Also, make sure you ask your hair transplant surgeon which medication is safe to consume.
4. Clean your scalp
When you begin washing your hair from day 3, be very gentle, especially for the first 5 days. Do not scrub too much or blast the water directly onto your scalp. Use a cup to rinse your scalp and gently apply conditioner to relieve any itching. Always keep your scalp well hydrated.
Don’ts after your Hair Transplant
Here are some things you should consider avoiding after your surgery.
- Do not sleep flat on your tummy and your side, or rub your hairline against a pillow.
- Do not get alarmed if you experience swelling, especially on the 3rd or 4th day after your surgery.
- Do not apply ice directly to your transplanted scalp. You must avoid touching these areas.
- Do not try to prevent scabs formation on your scalp. It is a very natural process after your scalp has gone through surgery.
- Do not wash your hair for the first 2 days. Only on the 3rd day, you can rinse it a little bit.
- Do not scratch your scalp. Avoid itching your scalp until it has healed. It is normal to feel this sensation for the first few days after a hair transplant.
- Do not wear any ball caps or hats for the first 3 days. The scabs formed naturally after your hair transplant require about 3 days to solidify.
- Do not drink alcohol for about 5 days. Drinking alcohol after your surgery can interfere with the blood supply to your head.
- Do not expose your scalp to sunlight. You can only do so for brief periods during the first 2 weeks. After 3 days, make you use a hat to cover up your while going out in the sunlight.
- Do not do heavy exercise for a few days. You have to avoid exertion. Make sure that your heart rate and blood pressure stay on a safe point until the risk of the swelling has reduced. Also, avoid engaging in any activities that can cause you to sweat more.
- Do not dye your hair for 4 weeks after your surgery. The harsh chemicals could hamper the success of the transplanted follicles. It can affect your follicles as they are in an initial frail state after transplantation.
- Do not smoke for about a month after the surgery. Smoking can interfere with blood supply to the transplanted area. As blood flow is essential for new hair growth, smoking can severely damage this process. Giving up your smoking habit would be the best step to take if you have not already done so.
Hair transplant surgery is a beneficial process. It is only minimally-invasive and can have a positive effect on your life. We hope that our tips will help you get the best out of hair transplants. Also, make sure you consult your doctor if you are having any persistent issue after your surgery.